Fathers Day Sale!

Friday, May 20, 2011

Wild Worms and River Fishing A Great Way to Enjoy an Afternoon



We decided after a few moments we would go out on our property and dig up a few worms, gather our fishing things and go to the river. Our daughter and I search around for a plastic container with a lid to put our worms in. After collecting a few she put the holes in the lid for air. As I placed the plastic container of worms in a cooler along with ice, bottled water, can sodas, I noticed she had labeled the lid of the plastic container Wild Worms. She had grabbed a black marker or ink pen when she put the lid on.

We decided to take our boat. Living close to a lake and river it's only a few minutes away. So off we go down the road a few miles to the only public access ramp on the river to launch our boat. Once launched on the river we headed a ways down stream from the boat ramp to fish some down trees. My husband began fishing with the wild worms. My daughter and I began with some minnows left over and from a previous fishing trip my husband had kept alive in a bait tank.

My daughter and I lost more than a few minnows. Along with broken lines, hooks, bobbers and tackle in general from getting tangled in the tree and limbs under water you could not see. Our daughter finally joined her dad and caught a few keepers. The fish were not real interested in minnows. My husband was catching all the fish. Some were good size crappie, brim and even a large bluegill as he called it. Some were a little to small to keep, including a baby snapping turtle he dropped back in. We ended up with about a half dozen or so good size fish that would make a nice start to a good fish fry.

My husband and I are the only ones that each fish. Our twelve year old daughter loves to go fishing but, she does not eat fish. She doesn't mind catching them or even watching her daddy clean fish. Normally I am inside by this time going about unpacking the cooler and generally getting things back in order for the next time we decide to go fishing or the next day. I usually get a play by play of the cleaning process. She comes in the kitchen last Sunday and tells me her daddy is cutting the heads off the fish and their still moving. Well, I had heard this before. I continuing doing what I was but, she insisted I go outside and see.

Fascinating as it was to see I don't care for the cleaning process. I made the agreement with my husband. You clean them, I will cook them. I think the cooking part is just as challenging. There are so many different ways to cook fresh fish. A good ole fashion fish fry with fries and hush puppies is our favorite.

So the next time your sitting home enjoying a nice afternoon and if you have access to the local fishing spot. Think about how much you along with family and friends can enjoy an afternoon fishing. Oh, and don't forget the wild worms.

(ArticlesBase SC #4781700)