Fathers Day Sale!

Monday, March 5, 2012

Several FLW Pros Sound Off On Using A-Rig

Monday, March 05, 2012



By Todd Ceisner
Special to BassFan




Here's a question to ponder: What was the last lure, technique or piece of equipment to register as significant an impact on the bass-fishing universe as the Alabama Rig?

Ever since the multi-lure rig burst onto the scene last October when Paul Elias used it to tattoo the field at the Guntersville FLW Tour Open, winning by 17-plus pounds, its impact on the industry has been far-reaching. In the weeks and months since, the rig has been the talk of the town, creating an almost unprecedented buzz that shows no signs of simmering down. It has spawned a spirited debate over its place in tournament fishing – does it go against the spirit of the sport, or is it the next major innovative way for people to catch more and bigger bass? If nothing else, it sure has people talking and … fishing.

“This time of year, you go to a lake and the ramps are empty,” FLW Tour pro Brent Ehrler said last month. “Now, the ramps are full and it’s because of this rig.”

Various tackle companies are scurrying to capitalize on the hoopla as other versions of the umbrella rig are hitting the market, while some pros are experimenting with making their own and tailoring them for different conditions and applications. Rod manufacturers are now marketing umbrella rig-specific models. A quick scan of the "New Accessories" page on Tackle Warehouse’s website recently revealed that nearly a third of the 82 items displayed were directly related to an umbrella rig. Heck, there’s been so much discussion about, it one would think Tim Tebow had put his likeness on a bait.

Worth A Try

Many pros have spoken out in favor and against using the rig in competition. B.A.S.S. has prohibited the use of multiple-lure rigs in the Bassmaster Classic and in Elite Series tournaments this year, while FLW opted to allow them – provided they are used in accordance with state and local regulations.

BassFan spoke with several FLW Tour pros about the umbrella rigs and where they see them fitting into the tournament scene. Many believe the B.A.S.S. rules committee jumped the gun when issuing its zero-tolerance policy. Most FLW Tour pros are pleased with their circuit's ruling and are eager to see how the rig plays into decision-making during tournaments this year.

Allowing the rig in competition, some said, will at least provide a broader sample of data to study to determine if it'll be allowed in future years. After all, it’s evident how effective the rig can be in the fall and through the winter. It’s only fair, some say, to see how it plays through the spring and summer.

More than one pro admitted that when he was first introduced to the setup, either on the ramp by the product’s inventor Andy Poss or at a tournament, they chuckled at its appearance and dismissed it as just another gimmick. Who’s laughing now?

As one pro pointed out, people are sometimes resistant to change, and veering down a path that features multi-lure rigs may represent a radical change to some. However, in a results-driven world, one thing’s for sure: The Alabama Rig is here stay simply because it's so effective at catching fish.

Favorable Reception

Following is a sampling of opinions from FLW Tour pros on the Alabama rig, its usefulness, its future place in the sport and what tournaments it might play a deciding factor in this year.

Darrell Robertson

"I think guys better get one. I haven't fished it much this winter and really haven't caught any fish on it, but undoubtedly on lakes around me like Grand Lake, they're catching all kinds of fish on it. The only thing I have against it is it's going to allow people to catch fish when they're not that catchable. It might be something that'll cause the fish to not get much of a break.

"People come up with new ways to catch fish every year. It's probably one of the better things someone's come up with in a while. This is probably the hottest thing that's come along. With the new Structure Scan and Side Imaging and the Alabama Rig, it puts bass in a lot of danger. They'll all get used it, but it'll be something that will catch fish for a long time. It'll make all of the bass fishermen be more versatile.

“B.A.S.S. didn't allow it because there are 10 to 15 guys that cash a big, fat check every tournament and they don't have to change their way of fishing. I think FLW has led the way ever since FLW started and B.A.S.S. has kind of followed.






Photo: Plano
Brent Ehrler thinks the A-Rig might make its biggest impact during the summer months.


“(I think it’ll work at) Kentucky Lake. I don't think it'll be a big factor in the tournaments that are right around the spawn. You have to have the right conditions for it, but if the conditions are on, let me tell you, that thing will catch fish.”

Jay Yelas

“I love the innovation of the Alabama Rig. To me, it’s a whole new paradigm shift, going from the single bait to a multi-bait. It’s just fascinating to me how we’ve missed this for so many years and then overnight, it’s this huge sensation.

"When I first saw it last July, I just chuckled and thought it might catch some fish, but there was nothing special about it. It never clicked in my head until October when Paul Elias did that in that tournament. I was in that tournament and I got my hands on one and went back to the same area I’d been fishing the first 2 days where I was catching seven or eight keepers a day on everything I knew how to use. I went in there with the Alabama rig and caught 30 on the third day of the tournament. It was just one of those special days. I haven’t had that much fun in bass fishing in so long. To struggle on those fish for 2 days and just barely make the cut, and then find a new way to just whack them, that’s what fishermen live for.

“Everybody has a ton to learn about it. We’re still in the beginning stages of this thing. To me it’s not all about swimbaits. Who knows where it’s going to from here? You might see people rig up combinations of different baits like soft plastics or topwaters or whatever.

“In my 24 years of fishing as a pro, I’ve never seen a new product introduced into the sport of any sort that works so well and have people just want to ban it immediately. I’ve never seen anything like it. To me, that goes against the grain. I want to embrace the thing. I love it. I think it’s the coolest thing anybody’s invented in a long time.

“I’m really curious to see what it does on the national scene this year. I’m glad FLW is going to let us fish it just because everybody is so excited about it and I’m looking forward to seeing how good it really is. There are 10 FLW tournaments this year. Are half of them going to be won on the Alabama Rig? Who knows? It’s going to be exciting to find out. I know in the fall it’ll be good at Wheeler. I think it could be a big player in the Forrest Wood Cup. It could be good at St. Clair in August.”

Brent Ehrler

“I don’t think anything has ever hit the market like this. It was like the perfect storm on the Tennessee River with fall fishing, schooling fish, off-the-bank fish and suspended fish along with it, and that’s where it’ll be interesting to see how it plays out. It’s obviously winning every tournament through the middle of winter right now. It could be one of those where it continues to win tournaments through the spring. It’ll obviously win them in the summer. I think that’s when it’s really going to shine. It might just be a year-round thing. How long it will last, I don’t really know, but it has definitely rejuvenated everybody in the industry.

“I think it’s great for the industry as a whole as far as getting people involved and getting them out there and getting them excited about fishing. I think it’ll boost other tackle sales, too. You’d never think of a bait that could sell a boat, but I think it’s possible now.

“I think it’ll be a factor the entire year with the exception of Okeechobee and maybe the Potomac. I think a guy could, theoretically, go and catch them at any of the stops we go to and they could even catch them at the Potomac and Okeechobee, but it’s a different scenario with shallow water and grass. I just don’t think it’s going to shine in that stuff. But if you get into any kind of deep water I think it’ll work. I honestly believe it could work at every single one of the stops on the schedule this year.”

Luke Clausen

“I’m glad FLW did allow it. I think a lot of people are against it because they’re afraid everybody’s going to be able to catch them on it, but if that’s the case we’re all going to be throwing it and the guys who are better at finding fish are still going to be better at finding them, and they’ll catch them on that instead of throwing something else.

“I think it’s good for the sport, but I think there’s a lot of fear that guys who don’t know how to fish as well as others are going to catch them on it. If that’s the case, you better pick one up and go find a better area than everyone else.

“From what I’ve heard about it, those Ozark lakes will be good if we go there early enough. It’s going to be a deal where, in my opinion, if it’s cold it’s going to be good if they’re relating to shad. If it gets warm and they start getting around the bank, it’s not going to be the powerhouse that people think it’s going to be. I could be dead wrong, but I don’t think it’ll be that good then. As far as ledge-fishing, it seems like it would be good then, but I don’t know. I just haven’t done it enough to know. We’re all going to learn. From what I hear, it doesn’t appear to be as good on the blueback (herring) lakes like Hartwell and Lanier. It’s just not the bait it is on the Tennessee River and some of the river fisheries where they’re really following balls of shad.

“A lot of it will depend on the time of year, too. Right now, in my opinion, it’s probably going to be at its best. I’m not saying it’s not going to work some other time, but right now the fish are relating so heavily to those bait balls that it’s going to better now than ever, but I could be wrong.”






Photo: Sara Hageman Schenck
Shad Schenck said all the hoopla that's been created by the A-Rig is good for the sport.


Shad Schenck

“It’s a great rig and I’m sure every angler I know is excited for the opportunity to throw it. Of course, there’s a time and place for that lure just like there is for any lure. Everyone gets excited and there’s a lot of hoopla about a new lure that works really well and I think there’s been a lot of the same thing with this lure that there was with the ChatterBait and things like that.

“I’ve fished the FLW Tour for 13 years and I certainly wasn’t around when the jig came out and I wasn’t around when the buzzbait was invented, but I think it’s great for the sport. It’s created a lot of hoopla and gotten people excited about it.

“I think it is here to stay just like the Carolina Rig is here to stay and every other lure is here to stay. My rule is I’m not out there to test lures. I’m out there to win tournaments. I don’t throw a lure until it’s won a tournament and when it’s won a tournament it’s in my arsenal. I’ve never thrown anything unless I know it works. My time and every cast I make for the whole season are too valuable to be a tester.

“It’s certainly going to play a role at Kentucky Lake. I’ll be anxious to see if it does anything at Champlain, but certainly with the time of the year, it’s very doubtful. It’s more of a schooling bait so if we get into a situation where there are schooling fish, which could happen at Beaver Lake or Table Rock, then yeah, it’s going to come into play. It’s almost like asking me if a jig is going to win a tournament this year. I hope people have forgotten about some baits that I’m going to be throwing at certain times.”

Charles Bebber

"I’ve caught several fish on it since it came out. I finished 13th at the Everstart Championship at Kentucky Lake. I caught every bass on it. Granted, I was only able to use one hook in that deal, but I haven’t seen it do any damage to a fish that a crankbait or something like that wouldn’t do.

“You’d be crazy to not throw it under certain circumstances. If everybody’s catching them on it and you say, ‘I’m against it,’ you’re going to get beat.

“There are so many applications to it and I’ve already started tinkering with making my own and I’ve made some finesse versions for when we go to different lakes where I might feel like the wire might be a hindrance to catching them.”