Fathers Day Sale!

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Scanlon Not (Just) In Kansas Anymore

Scanlon Not (Just) In Kansas Anymore:

<i>By Jonathan Manteuffel
Special to BassFan</i>


Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Photo: B.A.S.S./Deb Johnson
Casey Scanlon's rookie year on the Bassmaster Elite Series will be filled with new experiences.

By Jonathan Manteuffel
Special to BassFan



Not many anglers can say they won the very first bass tournament they ever entered, but Casey Scanlon did it. He was only 15 years old then. Now, at age 27, he's finally running with the big dogs in the 2012 Bassmaster Elite Series.

One of just two Kansans on the tour, this will be his first year in the Elites. He is one of a handful of true rookies in the 100-angler field.

"This is something I've always dreamed about doing," he said. "I started my own landscaping company so I could have time off to fish. Then I worked my way up through local and regional tournaments. Finally last year I decided to do the (Bassmaster Central) Opens, and got a break."

His break was that veteran Tommy Martin, who finished ahead of Scanlon in the points, declined his invitation to the Elite Series. Only the Top 5 in each division of the Opens received invitations, but when Martin opted not to fish, B.A.S.S. offered the 6th place-finisher the spot.

That was Scanlon, and he jumped at it.

"It's been a financial struggle getting my ducks in a row, but I'm tired of mowing grass," he noted. "I've been (tournament fishing) since I was 15, and the last 5 or 6 years I've fished 30 to 40 tournaments a year. I would drive to the Ozarks and practice just 1 day and still be able to compete with the big names in the region.

"This year I'm ready to step up my game."

Ready to Learn

Doing that will require that he learn at a very fast pace. The Elites get under way next week in Florida, where if you're not fishing grass of some sort, you're probably not catching fish. Unfortunately for him, there isn't much grass to fish in Kansas.

"Grass fishing will be new to me. I made a trip to Okeechobee and the St. Johns to start learning it this winter. It's an overwhelming, amazing thing to look at when you idle out into miles of (vegetation), but I'm looking forward to fishing there. That will benefit me in the long run – I'll learn more in 1 season on the tour than in 2 or 3 years fishing around home.

"I'm interested to see how my style compares to the other guys, and looking forward to learning new lakes and getting experience. Then when we get up North, I may be working hard learning to use a dropshot rig. I'm not good at looking at them on a graph while I fish for them."

What he is good at is power fishing.

"I catch a lot of fish on a shallow crank and a jig," he said. "I love throwing a jerkbait, too, and I'll probably do quite a bit of that this year. And, of course, I like throwing a topwater. That's everybody's favorite when they're hitting it.

"I haven't done a lot of traveling, so that will be exciting," he added. "I'm also looking forward to the Mystery Lake. That's a concept I like."

The event he's most looking forward to is the Bull Shoals stop next month.

"It's the only one I've fished tournaments on before (out of the eight stops on the Elite Series schedule). Hopefully it won't be in full-out spawn. With the mild winter we've had, it has a chance to be that. But even if it is, I'm comfortable fishing Ozark lakes and highland reservoirs, so I'm looking to do well there."

Some Advice from a Veteran

One of the anglers fishing the Elites who Scanlon already knows is fellow Kansan Brent Chapman, who recently won the Lewisville Central Open – the same tournament in which Scanlon placed 2nd last year. Despite the connection, they aren't planning on sharing information routinely on tour.

"Brent has been helpful on financial advice and sponsors and stuff," he said. "But he already has his own (network). I talked with (fellow rookie) Jared Miller a little at the Lewisville Open, and we may room together some, but we'll probably do our own thing (fishing-wise).

"I'll be kind of flying solo. I won't be sharing information with anyone. I really don't know anybody well enough on tour at this point."

Despite all the new lakes, techniques, travel, financial concerns and the higher level of competition, Scanlon believes he can be competitive right away.

"It might be lofty, but I'd love to win Rookie of the Year," he said. "I'm really competing against only nine or 10 guys, and this year it's pretty much true rookies – not like when David Walker or somebody (moved over from the FLW Tour). We all have a good chance.

"And of course I'd love to qualify for the Classic on Grand Lake next year," he added. "I've fished there quite a bit, and I like it. I'll have to have some good finishes and make some checks. I'll just have to keep my head down, focus on fishing and not let the financial thing or stress get to me."